Here, courtesy of wonderfulengineering.com are some amazing facts about Dubai:
- One of every four construction cranes on earth is located in Dubai
- Dubai’s artificial Palm Islands imported enough sand to fill 2.5 Empire State Buildings
- Dubai International Airport is the world’s busiest by international passenger traffic. By 2030, the economic impact of aviation is projected to be $88.1 billion and support 1.95 million jobs.
What better place for the Middle East launch of ConneCT, Analogic’s breakthrough in checkpoint security?
Here were some key takeaways from the show:
- Dubai's expanded Al Maktoum will change aviation. Calling it an "airport" does not do it justice. At the center of the Airport Show was a model of the new airport, part of Dubai World Center. Like many things in Dubai, it is truly incredible in scale. The airport will contain transport modes, logistics and value-added services, including manufacturing and assembly, and will cover an area of 14,000 hectares (35,000 acres). The airport has a projected annual capacity of 12 million tonnes of freight and up to 260 million passengers.
- Electronics. The recent TSA restrictions on tablets and laptops in carry on bags is driving an interest in new technologies such as checkpoint CT that can meet security requirements. In the meantime, airlines such as Emirates are doing their best to help customers by providing at the gate packing of electronics into special containers which can be retrieved at baggage claim.
- Passenger facilitation. Dubai airport offers smart gate services at immigration control that are fast and easy to use! Let's hope we see this elsewhere soon.